Monday, November 20, 2006

You'd be drinking, too, if you'd had the couple of weeks he's had

Good article from the New Statesman in the UK about the recent US election. I think I agree with about 98% of it. Especially the bits about how yeah, the Democrats won, but considering what they had to work with it's amazing they didn't deliver more of an asskicking. The article suggests that indeed, the Democrats didn't win, rather, the Republicans lost.

In an aside, the writer refers to John Edwards as "right-wing," which I don't actually think he is except maybe compared to someone like Dennis Kucinich. But then, Edwards/Dean remains the ticket that, at this time, I'd most like to see in 2008. This will almost certainly change by the time that year rolls around.

Anyway, that's hardly the main thrust of the article, which seems to have been written before it had been confirmed that the Democrats had taken the house and senate. So a few paragraphs near the end become less relevant.

But the last couple of paragraphs are especially interesting. In them, the writer reports claims he sources as high-up that President Bush is drinking again. For the record, I believe it, and I've believed it for a long time.

I've said this before, but it always bears repeating. Do you really think Bush passed out...from eating a pretzel?

1 comment:

Ben Varkentine said...

What is my take on Barack Obama? I think he's pretty good. I'm not always sure he's had enough experience in elected office to be a viable candidate for president as soon as some people think he will. But that might change by 2008.

There's also been some worrisome indications of him running to the middie, but that was when he was surrounded by republicans.

It'll be be interesting to see what he does in the new class.