Monday, May 07, 2007

A public service announcement (UPDATED)

Back in 2001, some smart guy had this to say about teen-comic artist Dan Decarlo, shortly before he passed away.

Dan DeCarlo...worked for the [Archie Comics] company for over four decades and [his] work, quite simply, defines the Archie house style. If you have ever read an Archie comic book in those past four decades, you've either seen DeCarlo's work or someone copying his line.


There's more, but that gives you an idea.

I'm really only telling you that because I wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed the book The Art of Dan DeCarlo, released last year and written by Bill Morrison.

Morrison is a cartoonist himself who's worked on several projects with Matt Groening including Simpsons Comics, as well as collaborating on early character designs for Futurama and working as the show's art director. He's also written and drawn his own comic book, Roswell, Little Green Man, which I admit I've never read but remember liking the drawings I've seen.

A short, one-line review of this book might be: Dan DeCarlo was more than just Josie and the Pussycats. It's got lots of great artwork-as our friend Mark Evanier wrote when the book came out.

Bill had unlimited access to Dan's widow and personal collection...and Bill already had a great collection of DeCarlo work from which to draw.


Here's one of my two favorite pieces in the book.



Say what you want, but if you say you could resist a fabulous drawing like that, you oughta be able to back up that judgement with something better.

My other favorite piece from the book (UPDATE: Dr. Zaius (Dr. Zaius. Dr. Zaius, Dr. Zaius. Dr. Zaius, Dr. Zaius. Ohhhhhhhhh Dr. Zaius. Dr. Zaius, Dr. Zaius!)...has "jigsaw-puzzled" the picture in question for me, and now for you.)




I want to say that the copyright on that picture is presumably owned by Bill Morrison and/or the estate of Dan DeCarlo, and no infringement, only admiration, is intended. Should either object to my posting it on this blog they have only to let me know and I'll remove it.

Also, click to read the word balloons.

And by the way, if you know my characters...those two girls in the background...look familiar to anybody else?

Thank you, Doc...

3 comments:

Becca said...

Very cool! I love it when people put in-jokes or make references in their artwork, like League of Extraordinary Gentleman. It's amazing what you can find if you look hard enough.

Ben Varkentine said...

I love that too, but just to clarify, this isn't an in-joke, just a case of my projecting.

Dr. Zaius said...

That is a great picture you found! I jigsaw-puzzled it together into one piece for you. [ 1, 2, 3 ] (It would even make a good desktop.) There are a lot of great Decarlo pictures at the amazon.com link you supplied.

It's funny, when I was a kid I hated Archie comics. I didn't really appreciate them until I got older.