Friday, June 22, 2007

Brazil doesn't deserve to be the birthplace of Braga women

Sonia Braga is an actress possibly best known in this country for her role as the title character in the 1985 film Kiss of the Spider Woman. To those of us with a more transatlantic eye, her steamy, bombshell sexuality and frequent nude appearances in magazines and Portuguese-language films through the late '80s are well-remembered.

But she has also been nominated for and/or won a handful of acting awards, so don't make the mistake of thinking this is another Jessica Alba. Braga would, and does, have much to offer even if she didn't look so fabulously sexy hot; she's continued to work into her 40s and beyond.
On a personal note, IMO, in the underrated 1988 romantic comedy/spoof Moon Over Parador, she says "I love you" better than any other movie star ever.

Her niece, Alice, has just started following in her footsteps.



My point is, when I see the words "sexy" and "Brazilian" I think of the Braga women. So why am I now saying that the country which was good enough to give them to the world is no longer worthy of them?

Because.


This is a Brazilian ad for a light yogurt. I saw it on Feministing. I don't know about you, but my initial response is: I'd like to have sex with that woman. That was before I learned that this is, apparently, not what my reaction is supposed to be. No, no. See, the tagline for this ad is:

Forget about it. Men’s preference will never change. Fit Light Yogurt.


Do I really need to say any more?

2 comments:

PJ said...

Those ad-guys are dumb-asses. Men like sexy women, and that girl is so sexy. Like the song says, everybody needs a bosom for a pillow.

Ben Varkentine said...

Now you've done it.