Friday, March 28, 2008

Stephen Sondheim loves This Is Spinal Tap, and less surprising choices

The Facets website is collecting "favorite film" lists from celebrities as varied as Sondheim and Jean-Luc Godard.

For the record, just for today, right now, my own list of "all-time favorites" would be...

(in no particular order)

Fast Times at Ridgemont High. The writer of which, Cameron Crowe, has a list at the site including The Apartment, The Best Years of Our Lives, Harold and Maude & Pulp Fiction. This has always been one of the most interesting of the teen movies.

Finding Nemo. One of the best films of any kind, not just animated, ever made.

The Sign of Zorro. And why not?

The American President. Four words: Written by Aaron Sorkin.

Ratatouille. One of those movies that's sort-of surprised me how well it stands up to repeat viewings.

Broadcast News. What can I say that I haven't said?

The Dover Boys. "Unhand her, Dan Backslide!"

It's My Party. For many reasons, but I like to stress one of the best ensemble casts ever.

Much Ado About Nothing, followed closely by A Midwinters Tale. Branagh's filmmaking at its most lush, followed by it's most utterly stark (in filming style, which is low-budget, I mean, Midwinter is actually a greatly uplfting film).

Movie I plan to add to my list just as soon as I see it: Get Smart. Yes, I have high hopes for this one. The first trailer was funny, word from the set in "the trades" (inasmuch as you can trust that) sounds good, and...oh yes, Anne Hathaway appears in it. In her underwear.

1 comment:

Richard said...

Finding out that Crowe also has Quadrophenia on his list is a joyful thing.