Thursday, May 08, 2008

How I learned to stop worrying and love Clinton

On the question of whether Clinton should drop out, my position continues to be one of indifference. It's her decision, and I doubt that it matters much either way. I suppose I would prefer that she not attack Obama using GOP talking points now that the nomination has been effectively decided, but even there, as Dilan says, the effects of this kind of attack are greatly overstated. (Barring a major change in fundamentals, if the election is close enough something so minor could turn the election, I've seriously overestimated Obama as a candidate.) I also object to assumptions that Clinton is trying to tear the party apart or sabotage Obama or whatever. I have no doubt that she will strongly support Obama as soon as she concedes. And I think one has to have some empathy here; it can't be easy to run a race you reasonably expected to win, assemble a very strong coalition of supporters, and fall just short. I can't really blame her for not quite wanting to concede the inevitable just yet. If staying in is "selfish," it is only in the sense that anyone running for that kind of office is going to be.


From a post in TAPPED, via news from me.

No comments: