Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Holy cow

Damn me and my compassionate impulses--they keep getting in the way of my fully enjoying seeing people getting the ass-kicking they so richly deserve. First it was how absolutely creamed John McCain is getting come election day. I still think he's going, and want him to, lose, but does it have to be as humiliating as I'm pretty sure it's gonna be?

And now...Anne Hathaway's ex-boyfriend has been arrested for wire fraud, money laundering, and conspiracy; he could go to jail for life. So...given my already expressed opinion that this guy was bad news, why don't I feel better about this? I dunno.

It certainly shouldn't be that I feel sorry for him, no matter whose ex he is, guilty or not. Never feel sorry for anyone who makes more than a million a year. It's just a good rule of thumb.

Maybe I think if the guy already has been expelled from paradise, do we really need to kick him when he's down?

Maybe it's because whatever I may think of him in my envious, green-eyed way, they were together four years, so I want to believe she really cared for him. Whether he deserved it or not. This has to be difficult for her and I'm a fan, I don't want things to be difficult for her.

Or maybe it's just that I can't help thinking how ironic the events of this week must be for my Reason Enough to Believe in God. Her film a champion at the box office, her ex-boyfriend a known criminal. (Allegedly).

Maybe it's just because reportedly he used the money he's alleged to have scammed from his investors in order to keep Ms. Hathaway in the lifestyle to which she had become accustomed.

To be fair, let's admit that more stable souls than his, mine or yours might well go wobbly from awakening at sunrise pressed up against the alabaster nude skin of a dream made flesh.

No comments: