Sunday, August 07, 2005

Four Adventures Of Reinette and Mirabelle

I rented four Rohmer films I haven't seen at my local video store today, prompted by Mr. Ebert's reminder of how much I'd liked those I have, as discussed in a post below. Was rewarded by a friend from when I used to work there renting them to me for nothing. It's an occasional perk--nothing I can count on or expect, but an occasional little something extra in a day.

The first film I watched is called (in English) Four Adventures Of Reinette and Mirabelle. It's about a couple of girls, one from the city (Mirabelle) and one from the country (Reinette) who strike up a friendship when the city girl is in the country, and invites the country girl to come and live with her in Paris. There, they find their expectations of life and each other confounded.

I'm making it all sound very slight (or at least being annoyingly vague), but as Ebert said in the essay I quoted, that's at least half the point.

No comments: