Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Cover me

BagNewsNotes has an entry analysing Time's cover story on The Dixie Chicks (who, BTW, gave a very powerful performance on Letterman the other night). I've read the story, I think it does at least as much to make country music fans look bad as the Chicks. It concedes-though it's buried fairly deep-that the Chicks have long-since been proved right, but says they still look bad to country music fans.

Why? Well, see if you can follow this (I can't). It's not because Natalie remarked that she wished the Pres. was from another state than hers. It's because (it says) she did it from a stage in the U.K., the old "foreign soil" attack that's never made much sense to me.

If you don't like your President critisized, that's one thing. I don't agree, but it's one thing. But I've never understood why where he's critisized should matter. I didn't understand it when George Bush, Sr. was trying to smear Clinton by saying he led anti-Vietnam war demonstrations while a student...in England (the horror) and I don't understand it now.

As Maines says in the story, she said it in the U.K. because that's where they were the week the war started (I'm envious-I was in Knoxville). I'm left with the conclusion that frankly, where Maines made her statement doesn't really matter.

On some level, country music fans must know that. It's just that, put simply, country music fans don't like strong women. I have no patience for people like that. Apparently, neither do the Chicks, which may explain why they've gassed up their car and headed out of town.



Excuse me-my ride is here...

No comments: