Thursday, May 25, 2006

Happy birthday, baby

Or, "Self-indulgent, yes, but it's my blog." When I was writing the last revision of My Girlfriend's Boyfriend, I finally nailed down something I'd been wanting to for a while: When exactly is Keitha's birthday?

Those of you who have read it know that one or two things in the storyline center on that date, and although I didn't think I was going to state it in the text (and I still don't), I wanted to pin it to a specific one, just in my own mind.

The date I picked-as if you're all not already way ahead of me-is today, May 25th.

Why May? I wanted a day around this time of year because of some other things that happen in the plot that are tied to real time (like when the gay parade is in San Francisco, for example). Why the 25th? Well, not because of any astrological signifigance that I am aware of (and I wouldn't have changed it for that either one way or another if it did).

I chose it because today is also
Towel Day...celebrated every May 25 as a tribute by fans of the late author Douglas Adams.

If it's good enough to tribute Douglas Adams, it's good enough for Keitha. So if you know any spiky, playful girls (as Corey recently dubbed her), buy them a drink today and tell them Keitha says hi.

Even if they sleep with boys.

Keitha: What's all this "baby" business?
Annabel: Sweetie, it's a nice gesture...

No comments: