Monday, July 24, 2006

Oh no, not that

Robbie Williams is one of those pop acts that I like...but never quite enough to actually buy one of his albums. Which doesn't make me much of a rarity in America, where he can't seem to get any traction, despire being one of Britain's biggest-sellers.

But I like his perverse onstage persona-especially the time when, on The Tonight Show, he made Mike Myers looks like a homophobic jackass (believe me, if I could find a clip, I would have posted it). I like some of his songs, especially "Millenium." And he's made worthy contributions to a couple of soundtracks and compilations I like, singing the end credits song to Finding Nemo and covering Noel Coward for the 20th Century Blues CD.

Now he's got an album coming out on which...damn if he doesn't seem to be waving to try to get my attention. He's collaborating with Pet Shop Boys-Neil Tennant will duet on one of the songs and he and Chris Lowe are producing parts of the album as well. And covering the classic Human League song "Louise."

I don't know about you, but that's enough to pique my curiosity. But here's the part I don't understand. As reported in the UK Mirror:
ROBBIE Williams is either a very brave or a very foolish man.

The singer is risking the wrath of Madonna's husband Guy Ritchie by raking over the past on a track on his controversial new album

Both dated leggy TV presenter Tania Strecker - Ritchie before he met Madonna and the Robster after the film director ditched her.


Music industry insiders tell us the track She's Madonna is based on an alleged conversation Guy had with Tania when he left her.

According to her version of events, the man behind hit movies Lock, Stock and Snatch ended their romance with the words: "Look, you know I really love you, but she's Madonna."


"Risking the wrath" of Guy Ritchie. Oh no, not that. Not the wrath of Razzie-sweeping director Guy Ritchie, whose ill-conceived collaboration with his wife didn't even open in the UK, and scarcely stopped in the theaters here on its way to home video. Not the man who has seen a promising career turn rotten for reasons upon which I wouldn't dare to speculate (thanks to my cease-fire still being in effect).

Anything but that. No, please no.

No comments: