Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Okay, the embryos thing

Those of you who watch The Daily Show, which I'm assuming is most of you, well-educated readers that you are, may remember a fella named Sen. Sam Brownback, Republican of Kansas. He's the one who, in making his "case" in opposition to stem-cell research, held up a child's drawing of an embryo that (he said) was asking "are you going to kill me?"

Jon Stewart rightfully had some fun with this anti-science whackaloon. And I can't help thinking it's another one of those cases where something that was satire 20 years ago becomes all-too real today.

But Blue Gal, meanwhile, has something to say about if from a most priviliged position:
I am a former infertility patient. I know.

Senator Sam Brownback (R-KS)? Kiss my ass.

There are difficult decisions to be made in infertility, and they do not need to be made in the halls of Congress. They need to be made between a couple and their doctor, and when you try to tell a group of highly educated (and when you've followed your own reproductive cycle for 24 months IN A ROW believe me you are educated) people who have invested THOUSANDS of dollars and TENS OF THOUSANDS of tears in order to have any child at all...how and when they "should" proceed so that "precious life" is perserved.

Fuck you. Just fuck you. YOU HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA, SIR. NONE AT ALL.

I just kinda thought that was a message that should be shared.

1 comment:

Fran / Blue Gal said...

Thanks for sharing, and thanks for the linky love. Appreciate it.