Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

You know I was anticipating this with all the hope of a young boy at Christmas. And I was trying to be prepared for some "post Christmas letdown." Would it take me a while to train my brain to recognize Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford as characters other than Chandler Bing and Josh Lyman?

Took me less than an episode. These guys are good.

First reaction: I'm home again, Kathleen. It's as if I've been watching television in foreign countries for three years and I finally found a station where the people speak my language. Aaron Sorkin is on television again!

And you can tell-his recognizable themes, favorite names, and character types are already being set up. Funny, smart people working together in a high-pressure situation? Check. One of them is named Danny? Check. (Every Sorkin series has featured a regular or recurring character named Danny). Some of these are people who are extraordinarily competent in many situations but still struggle with addiction? Check. One of them is a woman in a position of great power and responsibilty who wears that well but is something of a klutz in her everyday life? And check.

Now I just have to get used to waiting a week between episodes and sitting through commercials, instead of just being able to pull out my West Wing DVDs any time I want.

Aaron Sorkin is on television again!

No comments: