Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Stupid Canadian hosers

The CBC, which channel I get on my cable system by virtue of living right up close to Canada, showed The Life & Death of Peter Sellers tonight. I enjoyed that film when it first aired on HBO a couple of years ago (when I wrote about it on my old blog).

So I dipped in and out of it tonight, pausing here and there to enjoy a favorite scene or two. And I happened to be flipping past as they were approaching the ending, when the credits began to run.

They squished them to the bottom in favor of an ad for a documentary about some hockey game. Now, this practice is certainly not unknown in this country. But usually, the worst you can say about it is that it denies the many people who work on a film or television program but aren't "above the line" the only recognition they'll likely ever get.

But in Sellers it eliminates the under-the-credits scene which informs the entire film.

Stupid hockey-loving Canadian hosers.

1 comment:

jeopardygirl said...

OY!!!! I'm one of those hockey loving hosers from a long line of hockey loving hosers.

That said, it appears your problem was not with the content of the ad, but where the ad was placed--and with that, I wholeheartedly agree with you. Hockey, elections, whatever, if it takes away from understanding and/or enjoying the scheduled broadcast, it's not a good thing. Keep in mind, though, that most TV viewers could care less about watching the credits...