Thursday, February 01, 2007

Good golly, Miss Molly (UPDATED with additions)

Update: The Rude Pundit also has an insightful tribute. Excerpt:
She was goddamned smart, so smart she didn't have to flaunt it. So smart that she could use the down to earth side to say what she meant so all of us could understand it. She didn't suffer bullies. She loved Texas like a parent loves her child even after that child has gone on a three-state killing spree. She was unfailingly polite. And she could eviscerate anyone who was failing all of us with just an image or two. Those guttings will be desperately missed. That sense and celebration of the decency of the average American will be missed even more.


Original post: As you've probably heard by now, Molly Ivins passed away. There's a good tribute by her editor here. Did I say good? I meant absolutely teriffic. One of those "too much good stuff to excerpt" pieces. Read it, read it.

As for me, I can't add too much to what I said about her here a few days ago when we first learned she was sick again. But perhaps I can expand upon it. I wasn't kidding when I said she's a hero of mine.

If you search this blog for Molly Ivins, you'll find I've referenced and/or quoted her 10 times since it started in 2005. By an odd coincidence, I find the exact same number on my old blog, The Sound of the Crowd.

I won't repeat the quote here since I've used it so often, but I think if there's any justice, her line about (Bill) Clinton's weaknesses will ring through the ages.

I also wasn't kidding when I said I want to marry a girl just like her. It's obvious from reading this blog that I appreciate beautiful women like Anne Hathaway, Amber Benson, the gals from Friends, and Kirsty MacColl (bless her).

But what I'd like to think is at least as obvious, but probably isn't as much at first glance, is how much I appreciate articulate, accomplished, and/or funny women. Women like Amy Sherman-Palladino, Kirsty (again!) The Dixie Chicks, Linda Ellerbee, Amanda Marcotte...and Molly Ivins.

The world just lost a little bit of its flavor.

It's up to us to put some back.

ETA: Wings For Wheels' Dave Lifton sent along a link to a page of great rememberances of her on NPR, in the comments.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fresh Air did a great rememberance of her yesterday.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=7115608