Thursday, February 01, 2007

I've already waited too long and all my hope is gone



So I rented the DVD of The Illusionist yesterday. In a few words: Good, reminded me of the radio dramas of old in that it is a deceptively simple story, well told, that does not outstay its welcome and goes remarkably quickly.

But like many new DVDs these days, it comes rigged so that the first thing that comes up when you put your disc in is a trailer for another film. Normally, I cut through these by pushing the "menu" button. This is a good move. Unfortunately, early this morning before watching the film again with the directors commentary, on some foolish whim I let the the trailer play.

And this is what I saw. It's for a movie called Gray Matters, with Heather Graham and Tom Cavanagh as a sister and brother who are trying to help each other find love. Cavanagh finds and falls in love with a woman played by Bridget Moynahan, and asks her to marry him.

Graham finds herself opposed to the wedding for reasons she can't quite put her finger on. But she ends up spending a lot of time with the bride-to-be, and then during a late night conversation...they kiss. Turns out, the movie is about Graham realizing she's gay and in love with her brother's fiancee/wife.

That sound you heard was my mind screaming inside, and you may feel free to picture the word balloon above my head with the words written in very small letters:

oh
no

A romantic comedy. A not just sibling-like friendship, a la my characters, but actual siblings. A love triangle. Lesbians. The song above just popped into my head.

No comments: