Thursday, May 03, 2007

FWIW, about impeachment...

Over in Zaius Nation, a few thoughts on impeachment...


I am growing a little weary of those that state that not enough is happening fast enough for their tastes. "Why even have an impeachment process if you can't even use it," I read in one comment. The impeachment process is not a walk in the park, and must be carried out according to the Constitution of the United States.


This is what I wrote in the comments over there (slightly revised and with a link added):

The problem is, those of us who think impeachment should happen remember that the republicans got our last president impeached over a matter of such cosmic insignifigance.

And even while he was being impeached, Clinton had more support among the American people than Bush has enjoyed for almost two years.

It is truly galling when a man whose complete and dangerous incompetence for the job has been more than demonstrated, and whom virtually the entire country is against, isn't removed.

ASAP.

4 comments:

Dr. Zaius said...

Thanks for the link! I agree with you, it is galling that the president is still in office after his administration has committed so many crimes. It is especially galling after reading the statistic you have cited.

But what do you suggest? Call for impeachment hearings when there is not enough support in the house and the senate to carry them out?

Our feeling angry about the situation does not change facts, and the fact is Pelosi and Reid could not even override Bush's recent veto. The only solution is to gain more support and momentum to overcome the president.

Even when Bill Clinton was impeached by the House, he was later acquitted by the Senate. (Net effect = 0, no actual gain was made.) I am not sure that grandstanding is the correct move right now, I think that Pelosi is doing the right thing, building support for the Democratic position.

Ben Varkentine said...

I don't think you're necessarily wrong or that Pelosi is either. I just think you need to cut those of us who sometimes express our frustration with the slow-grinding wheels of politics some slack.

It seems to be a reality in politics, at least right now, that the wrong thing happens a lot quicker than the right thing.

Dr. Zaius said...

My apologies if you feel that I was unfair. Perhaps I was over eager in my example. I was only expressing some of my own frustrations on the subject. Clearly we both agree on the issues at hand.

Ben Varkentine said...

And ape shall never kill ape...