Thursday, July 19, 2007

it's Emmy time



Every year around this same time, I like to remind myself that one of these days I actually have to see Emmy Rossum act in something. I've thought she was excellent eye-candy ever since I first saw her on the Tony Awards a couple of years ago.

But she keeps doing rotten (by most reports) movies like Poseidon or, god help me, the Phantom of the Opera by Andrew Lloyd Webber, so I've never actually seen her work. I'm just resigned to remembering each year around this same time, that she really is excellent eye-candy.

Why around this same time? Because it's Emmy nom time, of course.

Amid the drama contenders, I'll be crossing my fingers for House, with a foolish and vain hope that Boston Legal might trip everybody up and win. Same goes for Outstanding Actor in a Drama, I'll be realistically expecting Hugh Laurie to win, but unrealistically hoping James Spader will.

Speaking of being foolish and unrealistic...I was kinda hoping Studio 60 would get a few more nods. I'm aware most of the country didn't watch it, but when it comes to the Emmys, who watches is equally as important as how many.

That's why I kind of roll my eyes when critics complain that shows like Buffy, Scrubs or Veronica Mars almost never get nominated. Not enough people watch them, and those that do are not Emmy voters. That's an unbeatable equation.

BTW, even less of the country watch 30 Rock than watched Studio 60, and...but I'll get to that later.

All S60 got were a couple of Guest Actor in a Drama Series nods for John Goodman and Eli Wallach. And I have to believe those were more because the actors themselves are well-loved craftsmen than because their work for this series was especially outstanding.

Plus a directon nod for Thomas Schlamme for the pilot, Casting for a drama series and Cinematography for a Single-Camera Series. Who's missing? Well, I was kinda hoping Sarah Paulson and Matthew Perry would at least get nominations, though I'd have been very surprised if they won.

As it turns out, Perry was nominated, but for The Ron Clark story, not Studio 60. All I know about The Ron Clark Story is that in it, Perry did the "White Guy Rap" which hasn't been funny since the early 1980s.

And, um Aaron Sorkin? Not even a nom? That must hurt.

I'm also sorry there wasn't a little more recognition for Friday Night Lights, I blew hot and cool on the series over the season, but the bottom line is, they did a lot of things right and deserved to be recognized.

On the other hand, for a series with its ratings, getting their second season is almost recognition enough. Although apparently they mean to try my patience next year, what with this talk of casting Rosie O'Donnell in a recurring role.

For outstanding lead actor in a comedy, I'll be hoping Tony Shalhoub wins again, since Monk is the only one of the nominated series I watch. Unless Ricky Gervais gets it, I haven't watched Extras but he's Ricky Gervais...

About outstanding lead actress in a comedy...okay, here's where I need a moment. Earlier today I was talking about the inexplicable, to me, overhyping of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Joss Whedon. Speaking of overhyping...

You're telling me...that according to the Emmy Awards...Tina Fey is in the same category with Felicity Huffman and Mary-Louise Parker? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Never mind the alligators, I think I'll just go stick my tongue in a light socket.

In the Supporting Actor, Drama category, William Shatner is the only one whose show I watch, but if would be kind of wickedly cool if T.R. Knight won. And by the way, do you think this year Christian Clemenson will finally be in the credits of Boston Legal as what he already is: A series regular?

And by the way...about 24...last year, the day after the 2006 Emmys aired, I wrote a post here in which I said
You longtime fans...note how he optimistically yet again uses the plural...will know that I've had somewhat divided loyalties on the subject of the '24' show recently. On the one hand, I was genuinely offended by the show's creators and some of the actors getting into bed with the evil wing of the Republican party("Chloe" even accepting a kiss from Rush Limbaugh, the whore).

But, on the other, god, yes, I remember how happy I was during the season finale. It was one of the only series that didn't disappoint me all year. But now it's won (certainly deserved) Emmys for best drama series, best actor for Kiefer Sutherland, and directing.

It's too popular. It's too succesful. It's time to bail.


Ahem...called it!

1 comment:

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Pick up Extras on DVD. You will not be disappointed.