Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Miss a turn

Well, the "kinder, gentler" Second City reality series from Canada took a few turns tonight; one was kind, one was gentle...one was neither.

The not-so-nice, in fact mildly unpleasant one was that Joe Flaherty was replaced as a judge by Dave Thomas. Thomas seems to have been brought in to be the bitch, but I just can't take him seriously in the role. It seems like a character he's playing, like Doug McKenzie or more like Rex Banner, because someone decided the show needed to be more like AI.

Don't do it, Canada. Don't sell out your people's birthright of joy, and this show's antidote to pessimism, in hopes of getting a little more space in the peridoicals. It's just not worth it.

Neither was an extremely brief and meaningless appearance by Colin Mochire, who I used to enjoy so much, but still haven't forgiven for sucking up to that repulsive truth-twisting piece of toxic trash, Karl Rove.

BTW, I know (or at least I'm pretty sure) none of you are watching this, making these posts an instance of my talking to myself even more than usual. But frankly, I kind of like the feeling of being the only man in North America who's paying attention to it.

If any of the cast-members are Yahoo! searching themselves, I still like Jeannie Cole and Kayla Lorette in particular. Lorette seems best at listening in scenes, and both got the most laughs out of me. Though, it would be better-if obviously impractical on a one-hour weekly show-if I could see more of the sketches.

Oh, and the nice turn that the show took tonight is that the queenie guy who I said last week I wanted to see eliminated...was eliminated.

4 comments:

jeopardygirl said...

Don't do it, Canada. Don't sell out your people's birthright of joy... You say that as if the rest of the country had any say over the production of this show. Do YOU have control over what the FOX Network broadcasts?

Anonymous said...

It's excellent to know that not only Canadians are watching this show. I am a friend of Kayla Lorette's. I knew her back before she was on TV. Trust me, (well, you don't actually have to seeing as you have no idea who i am) she's an incredible improviser/actor. If you could see more than an hour of her once a week, you'd definately fall in love. Also, I totally agree with you on the whole "Dave Thomas thing". I think he may secretly admire Simon Cowell.

Anonymous said...

Came by your blog by accident. A good accident though, I love it!!!

Ben Varkentine said...

Glad to hear it, thanks.