Thursday, August 02, 2007

Thinking Blogger Award

Becca (of the inexplicably "G"-rated No Smoking in the Skull Cave) has nominated me for the thinking blogger award, for which it's really an honor just to be nominated.

The idea, as the name suggests, is to to nominate five spots around this amazing and expanding blog-i-verse that really make you think, following these rules:

1. If, and only if, you get tagged, write a post with links to 5 blogs that make you think.

2. Link to this post so that people can easily find the exact origin of the meme,

3. Optional: Proudly display the 'Thinking Blogger Award' with a link to the post
that you wrote


Becca says of me:

He always has something interesting to say about news, pop culture, movies, music and there's always a picture of a pretty girl to ogle.


Oh no...am I really that transparent?

Actually...I resent that implication. Not so much for me, but for the ladies, who are not here for you to "ogle."

Shame, shame.

Just look how Alexis Bledel disapproves...



...how Jennifer Connelly judges you for having said it...





...and see the resentment on Nicole Kidman's face? I hope you sleep well, Becca...

...but anyway, back to what you said about my blog:

...I think I miss the can of soda in your profile picture.




Oh, you mean this little fella, courtesy of Kawaii Not? I'm sure he'll be back, but Dr. Zaius already gave me shit for replacing the picture of Marilyn and Groucho...

What, you got some problem with Naked Eyes? Just because they pinched the riff for "Promises, Promises" from Chic...

Anyway, on to my choices. I'd name YouTube-nothing makes me think more than those cute girls miming to "Barbie Girl"...think what, that's the question...but it's not really a blog, is it?

So I'll start out with Mark Evanier, writer of note. I said a lot of what I think about Mark in my reviews of his books (like this one), so to that I'll just add that his "POV" is always unique and interesting.

There is also my man Johnny Bacardi, readable in LiveJournal or on Blogspot. John hipped me to the art samples of Megan Murphy, the illustrator who created the above can of soda in the first place.

And Sherman, that Pop Culture Gadabout. 'Cos he always steps up and takes his memes like a man, and 'cos I like calling him Sherman since it reminds me of Mr. Peabody. Also, I haven't gone so far as to do an actual count or anything, but I think he may link to me more than anybody else. Yes, I can be bribed. And we have nearly as similar musical taste as me and Jeopardygirl-or rather, Sherman's tastes are so catholic they encompass mine as well.

Jim Emerson's "Scanners" blog not-infrequently offers some interesting little gems of thought-like his theory of Psycho III as underrated.

And Dr. Zaius with his eye for the lovelies, even if he does drive me mad sometimes because he won't just admit that George W. Bush could shoot a child through the back of the head on national television during The Singing Bee, and the democratic congress still wouldn't do shit.

6 comments:

Dr. Zaius said...

Gosh, thanks! (...I think.) George Bush would never shoot a kid in the back of the head during the The Singing Bee. He would have the Secret Service do it for him! Or Dick Cheney, maybe. George never does anything for himself! He is all about delegating responsibility.

Johnny Bacardi said...

I am honored, sir!

Anonymous said...

And then they'd dispatch the press whores to explain to all of us that it was actually all the child's fault, and the child's parents would wind up apologizing on "Don't Forget the Lyrics" (the Fox equivalent of "Singing Bee") for all the trouble they caused.

Becca said...

Oh they look mad but secretly girls love to be ogled. Even if they won't admit it :)

Hope I didn't offend you. Though based on the tone of the post I would assume not.

Ben Varkentine said...

No, you didn't offend me-but I have a feeling a couple of "mean old feminists" are going to kick your ass for the first part of this comment...

Becca said...

I can handle the hate from feminist party we just disagree ideologically. Thank god we live in America where we are free to express our own ideals and beliefs...er most of the time...