Monday, July 02, 2007

You'd think I'd like his movies more

As I've said in the past, I've never admired Woody Allen as much as some. I've just never been a big fan, with a handful of exeptions (Radio Days, for instance, is perfectly wonderful). And yet...every so often I'll find some quote from him that I like a lot.



Mary Steenburgen in A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S SEX COMEDY


Like these, from an interview he had with Roger Ebert while promoting A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy (which is another of the exceptions).

"I've always felt more sanguine about women than about men," he said. "They're more mature, less bellicose, more gentle. They're closer to to what life's supposed to be about. They bring up kids. Men are stiffer, don't cry, die of heart attacks. Women are just more into nature. They know what sex should be. They never dissociate sex and love. A guy will pick up a girl, telling himself all he's looking for is a fling for the weekend, but what he's really always after is the woman of his dreams, someone to spend the rest of his life with. Women are looking for the same thing in a man, only they're honest enough to admit it."




"[In Midsummer] I wanted to portray the country the way I want it to be, with golden vistas, and flowers, animals, moon, stars, all in 1906, a perfect setting to deal with problems of love and romance. I saw it as a chance to get in some of my philosophy, that there's more to life than meets the eye, that an intellectual rationalist is also an animal who lusts after women and is not above drawing blood in the throes of passion."

No comments: