Tuesday, October 30, 2007

classically-structured pop songs with new-fangled instruments

My Mann James sent me a Soft Cell Best-Of CD off my Amazon.com wish list a couple of years ago. Although, he assured me, normally it would be against his principles to further the spread of Soft Cell in any way.

I felt like such a failure as an "eighties man" without at least one of their CDs in my collection. But I had also always felt as though I should like Soft Cell more than I did...and then I did a complete 180. I fucking love the album.

One of the reasons is because Marc Almond actually sang. And rarely more brilliantly than in this song.



There is a man in my soul, and he's not buried all that terribly deep, that sometimes wants to act exactly like Almond does in this video.

2 comments:

jeopardygirl said...

Oh, you're not theatrical at all, are you? (can I get a mop for my dripping sarcasm?) :)

Ben Varkentine said...

Why do you imply that this is something I ever said I wasn't?