Thursday, November 01, 2007

Life force dying

Every week, I fall more in love with Life. And an ancillary reason why I do is that it lets me say things like that with a straight face. But seriously: It's getting to a point where I'm almost hoping, on some perverse level, that they'll do a bad episode.

Just so my sigh won't be quite as deep when the series is, as seems fatalistically inevitable, cancelled. I'm even thinking about doing one or two of the things that I routinely mock people for doing when their supply of whatever show they're addicted to is cut off.

Writing letters, etc...like maybe to NBC to suggest they actually try, oh I don't know, promoting it? You who are reading this, apart from my blog, have you seen anything about the series? Why hasn't Damian Lewis or Sarah Shahi been on Late Night With Conan O'Brien or the Jay Leno show?

If those shows have any reason to exist, it's to whore for NBC series. So where's the service?

(Ironic, bitter aside: Link in Lewis's name leads to an AP article in which he says

“...the antidote to [the experience of American network TV] is to go and make an independent film for six or seven weeks, where you have a growing, artistic experience that nobody sees.”


Methinks you spoke too soon, Damian.)

A better night of the week or timeslot might be good, too. If it were my job, I'd have it swap nights with Law & Order SVU, which doesn't need protection and would do fine in place of Life. Or I'd at least move Life up an hour on Wednesdays.

Of course, there's probably good and sufficient reason why this isn't my job (although, given that L&O and game shows are NBC's only hits...). But you can't blame a guy for trying. Because every week, I go to check the television ratings and find:

-Yesterday’s Losers (excluding repeats):
Phenomenon (NBC), Kid Nation (CBS), Life (NBC)


Also at 10 p.m. was ABC’s Dirty Sexy Money (#2: 5.8/10), which held 76 percent of its Private Practice lead-in, and a series-low for NBC’s dying Life.


Granted, NBC did order more scripts, but...

No comments: