Friday, November 23, 2007

Beyond it is another dimension-a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving in a land of both shadow and substance..



The Mist should be seen as one of the greatest extended episodes of The Twilight Zone you'll ever see. And you should see it. It earns the Twilight Zone comparison both for its winning qualities and for those that some won't find as appealing.

It is also a real old-fashioned horror movie that does justice to the imaginatively hallucinatory Stephen King novella as I remember it. One or two particulars have definitely been changed; possibly more-but it's got the atmosphere locked down solid cold.

However, I won't be surprised if it opens well but then goes down due to bad word of mouth. Not because the film is bad-as I'm trying to show you, it's genuinely chilling, with direction, acting and writing a cut above your average tasteless, exploitative horror flick. But because it has one of the most depressing endings you will ever see.

But again, you should see it. The ending-and I'm only going to hint at this-though deeply discouraging for the protagonist of the film, actually has a moral that had me walking back home almost...happy.

Of course, I'm on meds-in fact I think I absent-mindedly took an extra anti-depressant this morning when I meant to be taking an Advil.

And I'm sorry to say I saw the final twist coming-but I say that not to deride its predictability, but because I was just so very sorry that I was right.

No comments: