Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Sportswomen are so hot


Finally saw Stick It on cable yesterday. No, it doesn't quite work, but it does have its strengths. How much you're bothered by the fact that one of those strengths (though by no means the only) is the simple joy of watching young women--sometimes very, very young--do gymnastics is really between you and your shame.

In this article from a few years ago, the (male) writer bemoans the use of sexy, beautiful women to call attention to women's sports.



He uses as an example a then-recent magazine piece hailing Seattle Storm player Sue Bird (pictured above and below) as "possibly the perfect woman."



I understand, to a degree, his sensitivity on the issue. But I think it's worth standing up for the idea that it is possible to admire sportswomen both for the sexuality of their being in good shape, and for their abilities.

And just because you do one, it does not mean that you forget the other.

When I watch sportswomen, either in movies or televised coverage, sometimes, yes, I'm marvelling at their shapes.

But sometimes I'm just thrilling in watching someone do something that I couldn't do in a million years. And of course, often I'm doing both.

No comments: