Monday, April 07, 2008

I'll be curious to see what she has to say about this, (if anything)

According to a new poll...
Whites who said race was important in picking their candidate have been about twice as likely to back Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton as Sen. Barack Obama.


Now, I want to be absolutely clear here: I am not bringing this up to make some kind of smartass, "racists for Clinton" joke/smear. It's true Mr. Obama is my candidate, but the reasons Mrs. Clinton is not are a little more than, heh heh, "skin deep."

(OK, yeah, so that was a smartass joke, what I'm saying here is, I don't think Hillary Clinton's a racist and that's not why I'm not supporting her)

But I'm wondering what, if anything, she'll have to say about this poll. I guess there's a part of me that wishes she would say, in emphatic, no uncertain terms: That any votes she recieves because she is white are not votes she wishes to receive (in my perfect world, she'd also add: "any more than I wish to recieve votes just because I am a woman").

I don't really have much faith that she will say anything of the kind. At this point, I see her as grabbing for every single vote she can get...and that doesn't make her a racist, it makes her a politician (so is McCain, so is Obama). And she's been fairly public about wanting votes for--among other reasons--being a woman, hasn't she?

And I'm not even sure whether I think she should say something like I suggested above, race being such a minefield.

Still, I kinda hope she does.

No comments: