Monday, May 12, 2008

I just finished reading So Wrong for So Long: How the Press, the Pundits--and the President--Failed on Iraq by Greg Mitchell over the weekend



This link leads to the Amazon page, which features my review.

Last Friday, as is my habit on days when I see my therapist, after I took my walk around the park I went to lunch at Burger King.

I carried the book in with me--I'm a constant reader-while-I-eat.

The young woman who took my order, a friendly sort who I've seen more than a few times there before, caught sight of the first part of the title, and asked if it was a self-help book.

No, I said, letting her see the whole cover, it's about the war.

Which war?

The war we're in now.

Then she surprised me mildly by asking Is it anti-soldier or antimilitary?

No, I said, it's not anti-soldier, it's anti-some of our leaders.

She read the subtitle then and, as I remember it, nodded sadly and smiled slightly, adding, Yeah, they screwed up.

I've kept this back-and-forth in mind because, I think, there was something so telling about the way in which she leapt to the conclusion that a book called So Wrong for So Long, with a picture of a US soldier on its cover, must be antimilitary.

I'm not sure what it tells me, but I think it's telling. I wondered not long afterward if she has a relative or other loved one who either has or is serving.

I thought of asking, but decided it would be an invasion of her privacy.

No comments: