Friday, June 20, 2008

Men In Blanket Ran Javelin

Since yesterday was devoted to my fitful admiration for horror movies, I think today I'll do a total flip: Abstract art. These are paintings by Todd Kelly, part of his "Sous-bois" series. I like them very much.

They have for me a kind of "Rorschach" quality, which much if not all art does, maybe, in that I what I see in them may not be what you see in them, and what I see in them the first time I look at them may not be so the second.

Photobucket
Sous-bois #2, 2007, oil, acrylic, spray paint & collage

In this one I see a dancer.

Photobucket
Sous-bois #4, 2007, oil, acrylic, spray paint & collage

In this one, perhaps, the starting of a path.

Photobucket
Sous-bois #6, 2007, oil, acrylic, spray paint & collage

And in this--besides the obvious doorway--an off-kilter sense of looking at the world, a sense of perspective.

Plus I love an artist who says
Maybe I’m just holding on to youthful naivety, but I still think that painting can make the world a better place.


PS: Now can you guess what the title of this post means?

No comments: