Friday, June 20, 2008

Nobody's Fool

In the archives section of his website, Roger Ebert reprints a talk he had with Paul Newman when the film "Nobody's Fool" was in release.

(here's the film's trailer)




I saw the movie on video a few years after it was in theatres, and remember it as, while perhaps not a "classic," a good, low-key film.

Ebert was right to wonder at the film's acting, though. Some actors including but not limited to Newman got to use muscles they hadn't used in years (the cast included Bruce Willis and Melanie Griffith).

As you may have heard, there have been disputed reports lately that Newman is deathly ill.

I don't know whether or not those reports caused Ebert to choose to feature this article, but it seems a good bet.

I also don't know the truth or not of the rumors, but I certainly hope they're at least exaggerated.

When Ebert asked Newman how he had achieved a specific effect, the actor replied:

There can be no single emotion that could be identified with something like that. I mean, it just has to be a splash of colors, and that's all it is.


"That's all it is." I like that right down to the ground.

No comments: