Monday, September 29, 2008

Benjy don't play dat

I got the weirdest thing in my mail today. It was a white envelope, the size that usually means it has a CD in it someone wants me to review, but it was too light for that, and there was no identifiable return address.

It was addressed to me, not "occupant," but with no mention of Ink19, the site for which I most recently wrote. Inside was an all-white postcard with the words "i am blind" in raised type and Braille lettering beneath.

Also a stamped envelope with an address in Toluca Lake, CA pre-printed on it. Then at the very bottom, in two small white tear-shaped tubes, were two pairs of "sunglasses" made out of a thin plastic film, with the URL "iamblind.org" on the side.

So finally I put it together. This is a promotion in the form of an "ARG"-that's alternate reality game, in case you didn't know (I didn't)-for the new movie Blindness.

I don't think I'll be playing. It's just not what I'm into. But, I don't mind their trying to hype the movie any way they can (if the early reviews are accurate, it needs it).

What I was wondering, though, was how the hell did I end up on this list?

I don't play ARGs; I've never played ARGs. And this blog certainly doesn't have enough page views per day to make it a worthwhile spot for some free advertising.

I doubt I'm even gonna be able to get any of ya to watch Chris Rock's new HBO special (which is fucking funny) or go see Saw V, which I am giving free advertising.

And then, only as I was writing the above, it dawned on me. Who's the star of Blindness? Julianne Moore. Figure someone must've done a search for bloggers that have written about her, as I have, and sent us all the material.

(In a related mystery, who keeps looking me up from Santa Rosa, California?)

No comments: