Tuesday, September 02, 2008

If you're stupid, surround yourself with smart people. If you're smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

...in the words of Isaac Jaffe on Sports Night.

Obama and Biden appeared together on 60 Minutes this weekend. That link will lead you to a site where you have a choice of watching a video clip of the appearance, or reading it in an article form. Either way, I especially liked what Obama had to say about (one of) his reasons for choosing Biden:

if I'm in the room making the kinds of tough decisions that the next president's gonna have to make, both on domestic policy and on international policy, then I want the counsel and advice of somebody who's not gonna agree with me a 100 percent of [the] time. In fact, somebody who's independent enough that can push back and give me different perspectives and make sure that I'm catching any blind spots that I have.


"Look there is no choice I could have made where the person's gonna agree with me a 100 percent of the time. And I wouldn't want that person. Michelle doesn't agree with me a 100 percent of the time. You know, in fact with Michelle, if I can get to 50 percent, I'm feeling pretty good.

No comments: