Tuesday, September 22, 2009

It's Banned Books Week.

Typically, around this time, I take a look at a few selections from a list of the banned, and celebrate same.


An example of some well-known books that have been banned are “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn,” “A Catcher in the Rye,” “Lord of the Flies,” the “Twilight” series, “To Kill a Mockingbird,” “James and the Giant Peach,” the “Harry Potter” series, “Bridge to Terabithia,” “Goosebumps” series, and even “Where’s Waldo."
However, I have just learned that Dan "the idiot who gave us 'Sir Leigh Teabing" Brown's new book has already topped two million in sales, and I find myself feeling a lot kinder towards the concept of book-banning than I have hitherto.

...I'm kidding, of course.

Even if I weren't, this item would change my mind back again:

Several years ago challenges to "Harry Potter" books, based on complaints about witchcraft and sorcery, were more common.

More recently, the association has received challenges to books with gay-positive themes, such as the picture book "And Tango Makes Three."


I just had to live dangerously, didn't I?

No comments: