Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Avenging The Avengers, and other stories

("Most Hated Movies," pt 3)

21. The Wicker Man (2006)

Haven't seen it. It is, however, one of the episodes of How Did This Get Made I've listened to twice.

22. Battlefield Earth

Haven't seen this one either. The DVD cover is notable in my memory, however, because in a desperate search to find a positive quote, they ended up with "Great scene transitions..."

Photobucket



23. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Yet another one that I haven't seen, and I know it was not terribly well-loved by critics and comic book fans. I have to admit, however, that lately I've been thinking just maybe I should give it a chance.

See, I was reminded that the Alan Moore book was adapted into screenplay by James Robinson. I've only just recently finished a trip through Robinson's heavenly run on Starman for DC Comics in the late '90s.

Photobucket

24. Pearl Harbor

Haven't seen it, have nothing to say about it.

25. The Avengers.

No '60s-era Diana Rigg. No chance (and no offense, Uma)

26. Planet of the Apes (2001)

I actually reviewed this back when it first came out, so if you really want to know what I thought of it, go here. All you probably need to know, however, is this is Tim Burton, and I loathe Tim Burton with the heat of 1, 000 suns.















27. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

I was actually pleasantly surprised by this movie.

28. Sex and the City 2

You could tell me this movie was nothing but two hours of Cattrall, Davis, Nixon and Parker (in that order) dressing and undressing and I still wouldn't want to see it.



These characters are ignorant, incapable, and have no direction separate from their men.

29. Spider-Man 3

This is another one that I wrote a long post about when it was released.

Photobucket

Almost five years later, I can say I remember the story as not being especially well-told, but the movie still ending up...good. Not very good. But good.



30. Alien Resurrection

At this point, this movie is first and foremost important to me as an example of how to Joss Whedon fans, the failure of anything he's involved with is never his fault. Secondly, I've been saying for years and years now, the only way ever to "save" this franchise is some sort of "retcon" so that this movie, and the third, never happened.

No comments: