Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Oh, good lord, this is a terrible idea

Actors, singers will belt out TV theme songs at Emmys

Like "American Idol," Sept. 18's Emmy Awards will either have viewers nodding to unknown vocal talents or shrieking with horror as TV stars and singers croon a number of classic TV themes. Thankfully, most of them will be duets with some of the less-accomplished getting some professional help.

This "Emmy Idol" will include William Shatner ("Boston Legal") and opera star Frederica von Stade singing the theme from Shatner's 1960s series, "Star Trek."

Megan Mullally ("Will & Grace") and Donald Trump ("The Apprentice") will be cackling the "Green Acres" tune, and Gary Dourdan ("CSI: Crime Scene Investigation") and R&B artist Macy Gray will elevate their voices with "Movin' On Up" from "The Jeffersons."

Ellen DeGeneres returns as host and will manage this circus full of comic potential.


I'm anticipating a lot of muting...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Kristen Bell singing Fame will be alright though.

Shatner will cause cats around the world to permanently scream though.

Ben Varkentine said...

Yes, I can see where that would be a bit of allright. I hadn't seen that she was going to do that.

Actually Shatner worries me less than the whole concept does...

Ben Varkentine said...

I hate myself for knowing this, but yes, it does, though they were never used on the series.

Gene Roddenberry cobbled together some doggerel so he could take half the publishing from Alexander Courage; Nichelle Nichols recorded it.

But I want to kill myself for actually knowing the first line: "Beyong the rim of starlight..."

See, this is the curse of a good memory. On the one hand, it's nice that I can remember that time you (censored censored censored censored censored censored censored censored censored)

On the other hand, my brain still retains this crap.