Tuesday, September 13, 2005

TV Update One

The new TV season started for me tonight with the season premiere of Gilmore Girls. I still love this show. I was thinking, it seems like it's been so long since I had a favorite show where the season premiere was like seeing a bunch of old friends for the first time in months.

I thought this was a consistently surprising script--two or three times I thought I knew what was going to happen, and then it didn't. I like that. Now, a minor complaint to the universe. It's rare for me to like more than a handful of shows each television season. So do you think it would be possible not to put them opposite each other on the same night?

Last season, the CBC, which I can get here in Seattle, was showing the new Doctor Who opposite Gilmore Girls. And being that it seems to be beyond my capabilities to watch one show while taping another...

This season, there's a new show called Bones. It stars David Boreanaz, late of Angel, which is why I wanted to give it a look. And it looks quite promising, the dialogue had a real snap to it and the characters seemed, again, surprising.

From what I could tell during the Gilmore Girls commercial breaks, that is. I realize this isn't just way down the list of things the universe needs to be thinking about right now--it isn't even on the list.

Nevertheless, it's really annoying, so I'm asking the powers of whoever's in charge to please fix this. Thank you.

Then there's Supernatural. First weird thing I want to mention: Series star Jared Padalecki is late of Gilmore Girls, where he played a character named Dean who was thrown over by his girlfriend for a boy named Jess.

On Supernatural, he plays a character named Sam...who has a brother named Dean and a girlfriend named Jess. I'd almost think the writer was fucking with him. The show itself? I'm lukewarm. It was consistently watchable and well played, but not much humor or wit (different things) in the dialogue. A few too many video effects for my liking, too and unfortunately the commercials gave the ending away.

Still, I'll watch next week, so on that basis (the only one that counts) I'd rate the pilot a success.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"And being that it seems to be beyond my capabilities to watch one show while taping another..."

If you refuse all offers to help you figure this out, then you don't get to complain about it... :)