Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Sorry about that, Chief

...but I forgot to say anything about the passing of Don "Get Smart" Adams.









The Jack Davis drawing is courtesy of news from me, where you can also find this nice rememberance.

I'll just add that I think "Get Smart" fared better in revivals than do most series. I remember 1989's "Get Smart, Again!" which I think I've still got a tape of someplace, as being genuinely funny.

I would guess the fact that they actually got Leonard Stern, who'd written much of the original, to write it helped. And even "The Nude Bomb", to a nine-year-old, was kind of exciting. Though not as much as it would have been a couple of years later when I actually knew who Sylvia Kristel was.

As Mark notes, Adams spent the rest of his career doing riffs on his most famous character, in movies like "Back To The Beach" and Bud Light commercials. But he did play that character awfully well.

So here's to you, Agent 86...I hope you found happiness making people laugh, and that your last words weren't "You're standing on my chest."

No comments: