Monday, September 26, 2005

Strong like an Amazon, baby

Here is what I had to say on Amazon today about the book A Widow's Walk : A Memoir of 9/11, by Marian Fontana. This is the book I mentioned last month having seen excerpted in Vanity Fair.

And by the way, I made a stupid mistake in something I said about it at that time, based on a too-quick reading of the excerpt: Fontana's husband Dave did not die, so far as we know, trying to save a specific child. That was just the way she, as a firefighter's wife, had imagined getting the news one day. Never believing it would ever really be true, that she would lose him.

But he did die trying to save people--men, women and children--and Ann Coulter did question the courage of New Yorkers. So although I was wrong about that specific, I was right about the particular, namely, there's something really wrong with Ann Coulter.

But there's not much wrong with Marian Fontana as a writer. Go read my review, and then read her book and see.

No comments: