Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Things To Be Thankful For, 2005

Or "Can U Dig It?"

In no particular order:

Aaron Sorkin, especially the promise of a new series from he and his directing and producing partner, Tommy Schlamme, and the screenplay he's writing for Tom Hanks. And happiness is having all four of his/their seasons of The West Wing on DVD.

Joe Jackson.

This blog & its handful of regular commenters-hi guys.

Amee. Pleasant memories & friendship. Also thankful that she and hers were not hurt in the recent Tacoma mall shooting.

Kirsty MacColl (bless her).

Doonesbury.

Asterix.

The Marx Brothers, especially Groucho & Harpo, & Ron Goulart's series of mystery novels featuring the former.

Ginger Pielage, wherever she is. An artist never forgets his muse.

John Edwards & his wife Elizabeth. To say nothing of their daughter Cate.

The Kittens, for better and for worse.

Christina Hofmann. Not as much of a muse, but an important woman in my life nevertheless.

Rock & Hyde & all the other semi-obscure gems in my collection of '80s bands.

Corey. My friend, and my first reader on most of my stuff since my first play. I usually appreciate his comments...eventually...

Keitha, Annabel & Colley. I don't know where we're going, guys, but you've been with me for a long time.

Boston Legal.

Everything & everyone I praised in this post.

Harlan Ellison. I think Aaron Sorkin pretty much walks on the water as a screenwriter, but this guy is my "father" in prose. Not because our styles are usually that similar. It's just that he's one of my favorite writers. And the one I'm most sure will somehow find out and kick my ass if I'm ever untrue to my own writing.

Stephen Sondheim.

Charles Schulz (Bless him).

Jack Benny, Bob Hope, Fred Allen, Gunsmoke and the "Golden Age of Radio."

Stefon & his wife Melissa.

John Hughes. Not just for his movies (although I love them as much as the next '80s man). But because their soundtracks may have been the most influential in shaping my musical taste.

Every chick flick I picked for this post.

William Goldman's books for writers.

Jim Brooks' movies.

The four most beautiful, hottest, sexiest women in the world:

  • Anne Hathaway, the future Mrs. Varkentine.
  • Virgina Madsen. When you die, if you've been good, you go into a never-ending shower with a 21-year-old Virgina Madsen. That's my belief, anyway. And the age is not a deal breaker.
  • Holly Hunter. Only when I made a list of films I thought had good parts for women did I realize how many of them involved her.
  • Kate Winslet. No explaination necessary, I trust.


Clooney's Murrow movie.

Veronica Mars. Have I badgered you people too much about that yet?

My nephew.

Johnny Cash.

Reese Witherspoon in the new movie about Johnny Cash.

Monty Python.

Pet Shop Boys.

This quote, which I just found tonight and made me smile, for some reason:

Like a ghost come back to life, or Garbo in her greatest role, the lesbian offers us new and vital information about what it is to be human.

~From the introduction to The Apparitional Lesbian: Female Homsexuality and Modern Culture, by Terry Castle.


The Harry Potter movies and especially that driven little witch character. I haven't seen the new one yet (nor have I read the books), but I love that character.

Those fave TV shows not previously mentioned: 24, Everybody Hates Chris, The Daily Show/Colbert Report, Gilmore Girls, & Supernatural.

The fact that the nation finally seems to be waking up from the insanity of the past five years.

and Moya.

Can U Dig It?

No comments: