Wednesday, January 04, 2006

In a mine...

So I'm watching the return of "Scrubs" last night. That show, BTW, still has the same problems and virtues it's always had for me: Some genuinely funny direction, performances and writing, but I don't give a damn about any of the characters.

And I think Christa Miller-oft referred to by me in the past as "the most beautiful woman on television" must have had Botox or something. In any case it's the hardest someone's fallen off my radar since the unfortunate Laura Prepon incident.

But, of course, none of that really matters. At one point during one of the two episodes shown last night, NBC interupted the program to announce that the 12 miners had been found alive. And I, like most anyone watching, I imagine, thought, "Well great-a happy ending."

Turns out, not so much. AmericaBlog:
If this is true, someone screwed up big time. How do you say publicly - say to the FAMILIES - that 12 survived and now say "oops" 11 died and one survived?
Family members learned early Wednesday that 11 of the 12 coal miners who were initially thought to have survived an explosion in a coal mine have died.

Families learned of the deaths from mine officials more than three hours after Gov. Joe Manchin said he had been told 12 of the miners survived the disaster. The sole survivor of the disaster was hospitalized, a doctor said.

Anderson Cooper is ripping the coal/mining company. They knew, according to Anderson, 20 minutes after the news broke that the 12 had survived that in fact several did NOT survive. But since the coal company didn't have all the information, they didn't say anything for three hours, leaving the media and the families to believe that 12 had survived. Jesus. Now the company gets to worry about emotional distress damages added to the lawsuits.

I genuinely don't mean to trivialize-but ever since the miner story broke all I can think of is that Bee Gees "New York Mining Disaster" song.

In the event of something happening to me, there is something I would like you all to see...it's just a photograph of someone that I knew...

No comments: