Friday, January 06, 2006

Sometimes we find the songs we need...

...when we need them to nourish us. Case in point, this song by Carole King which is at the end of the first disc of the Love Rocks compilation in duet with k.d. lang. I've had the comp for almost a year, but this afternoon, listening to it (on shuffle) along with a CD I'm reviewing, it really hit me.

I've followed it with two lyrics or excerpts from lyrics that, for me, are connected to this one for reasons that may be personal or may be obvious.
Why do we isolate each other
All the walls we build between us
Make it so hard to be together

How can we tear at one another
When the thing we have in common
Is an uncommon love

Walls can fall, tears can mend
So why can't we reach across the line
And touch each other

Here on two sides of the truth
We've a middle ground in common
We have an uncommon love

Time can heal, hearts can mend
So why can't we reach across the line
And touch each other

When will we ever learn
That the thing we have in common
Is an uncommon love
We have an uncommon love
An uncommon love
--Carole King "An Uncommon Love."

First a glance, then a chance
To make a simple gesture worth it all
A conquer all, a desert storm
That serves a drink to people under this sun
This is the place, now is the time
To take in any other point of view
Some are inert but one exists
To build a bridge
It doesn't mean much now
It's built for the future
--The Fixx "Built For The Future"

Down there in the ashes
There's gold and silver too
Dear sister, I try to share with you

Smug, you said
Take your spoils away

And you broke the bridge on your side

You wither my trouble
And all I dream to do
With half-smiles
Until I scream at you

Mad, you said
That's how you repay

But you broke the bridge on your side

And where am I
As I swallow your tears
And the prince with the slipper appears
Do you hack at your heel
Do I try not to feel

I fail with my anger
And with my sympathy
I tremble - so little left for me

Harsh, you said
Now you walk away

But I left the gold for you to find

When you broke the bridge on your side
--Joe Jackson & Jane Siberry, "The Bridge"

No comments: