Sunday, January 29, 2006

Where the fuck is Kirsty MacColl?

What we have here is an (alleged) list of the
"160 Greatest Female Vocalist in Rock "N" Rock
Criteria: - Vocalists were chosen for Power, Range, Ability to Convey Emotion, Versatility, Uniqueness and Lasting Popularity. (All styles of Rock 'n' Roll are included.)


Now, I wouldn't piss and moan because Kirsty didn't make the top 15 or anything. I love her, of course, and I'm right, but I accept the reality that (due to most people being morons-fact), she never quite made it big, especially in this country.

But you're telling me that in a grouping of 160 female vocalists who are supposed to have great range, ability to convey emotion, versatility and "uniqueness"-which doesn't seem like it should be a word but is-Kirsty doesn't even make the list?

Oh. I see. All right, who does then?
5. Mariah Carey (My All)
Yes, because Mariah Carey made it on the basis of her talent.
16. Grace Slick (Somebody To Love)
Didn't she forefit her right to appear on any such list ever again with the whole "We Built This City" unpleasantness?
23. Stevie Nicks (Fleetwood Mac) (Rhiannon)
Hey, if the bleats of the love-child of Bob Dylan and a nanny goat get you hard, be my guest.
127. Gwen Stefani (No Doubt/Solo) (Don't Speak)
Words once written about Kirsty MacColl (by Billy Bragg) that will never, ever be written about Gwen Stefani:
"All those expensive gadgets that make us mere mortals sound good in the studio, she can do it all naturally. And usually in the first take."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I have to say is #125...Kelly Clarkson! Kelly Clarkson????? She, and a few others on the list, are competent at best. Despite the many deserving and truly outstanding singers listed, I have to say this list has no credibility whatsoever in my book by placing Ms. Clarkson above Linda Perry, Fiona Apple, Beth Orton, and Kim Deal, not to mention our local goddess Kirsty.

Ben Varkentine said...

I probably shouldn't admit this, but I actually kind of liked one of Clarkson's hits-"Since U Been Gone."

This is not to say, however, that she belongs on any such list that Kirsty does not appear on, of course.