Friday, February 03, 2006

You know what movie looks surprisingly good to me?

...and that I'm actually looking forward to? Curious George. The trailers and TV spots make it look far more awesome than I might have had any reason to expect. They're viewable at the official site, BTW, click on "Enter the site", then on the "CG" at the bottom of the screen, then on "media."

Why? First of all, I think it's because it's (apparently) fully animated. I was afraid it would be a let's-stick-a-comic-in-a-furry-suit-and-give-them-licence-to-bray-like-a-jackass-and-tramp-on-childhood-fave movie. See The Cat in the Hat or The Grinch. Or a dumb hybrid of of a family/SNL/guy comedy with George as a CGI creature.

But it's apparently fully (and 2-D) animated, though it wouldn't surprise me if some computers were used as an assist, and there hasn't been a great 2-D animated movie since The Iron Giant. It really looks fun; George is enchanting, he and The Man in the Yellow Hat look pretty much the way I remember them, and the colors are amazing.

I haven't seen any reviews yet and I suppose it's still possible that they messed it up. But as it is I'm trying to decide if I want to wait for DVD/cable, or use my four-year-old nephew as an excuse to go to a movie that I want to see.

However, I guess I still have much to learn about seeing everything in terms in of politics. Y'see, a couple of bloggers with too much irony in their diets are choosing to see the film's poster--

--as an unintended comment on our leader's recently exposed authorization of domestic spying, to say nothing of his oft-remarked resemblance to a smirking chimp. Folks, this is what comes of spending too many hours hunched over computer screens cackling to themselves "We've got him now!" rather than reading for pleasure.

No comments: