Saturday, February 04, 2006

The universe makes sense again.

Good morning. Last year, in reference to the Japanese comics and anime-inspired "Boondocks" cartoon series, I wrote:
I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Japanese comics and anime suck. They all suck. There are no exceptions and you think there are, you're wrong.

They suck both in content and in execution. In content, they are for people who value violence and technology over affection, humaneness and people. In execution, they're drawn in unappealing, barely-animated fashion. To paraphrase Chris Rock, if you like full animation, Anime ain't for you.


But last month, I allowed that although I still hated anime, a graphic I'd found from "Spirited Away" was very pretty. I heard in response from two or three of you who assured me that Miyazaki was anime for people who don't like anime. And seeing as I am such a person, a suggestion/wish that I give his movies a try.

Well, "Spirited" was on the Cartoon Network last night, so I resolved to indeed give it a try. Never let it be said that I am not open to new ideas. So, I watched it. Or rather, I tried to.

Let me repeat: Japanese comics and anime suck. They all suck. There are no exceptions and you think there are, you're wrong.

Good morning, and thank you for your attention.

4 comments:

Ben Varkentine said...

Oh what, you think you just throw "lesbian" at me and I lose all my asthetic senses? :)

For that matter, in the work of some people you could mention, the girl *did* get the girl.

It just wasn't the right girl...

Ben Varkentine said...

You may be right about the content, and in fact you probably are-but it doesn't address my *asthetic* resistance to anime.

"In execution, they're drawn in unappealing, barely-animated fashion. To paraphrase Chris Rock, if you like full animation, Anime ain't for you."

Recommend me an anime movie that *moves* as brilliantly as (say) The Iron Giant, and maybe we'll talk.

Ben Varkentine said...

Ok, a Coyote & roadrunner cartoon then-just something that *moves* like something resembling a living creature, not those awful mechanicals.

Bill said...

Oh well. We tried . . . :)