Friday, February 24, 2006

Let's see if I can make a meme that anyone else will take up

Assignment:

Name five albums that were the soundtrack to your teen years, preferably your high school years.

The Pacific Age, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark. This album is full of quiet ghosts. It was also the last full album to feature "OMD proper"...although word has it that a reunion is in the works. There's a sense in which, for me, that's like the Beatles getting back together.

Black Celebration, Depeche Mode. I'll drink to that.

Louder Than Bombs, The Smiths. Escape. This album was made to be listened to on a walkman (it's what we called iPods, kids) as you sit in a corner of the room.

Substance, New Order. Among other things, the best title for a collection of dance remixes ever.

Decade, Duran Duran. Before Duran became a product-generating pale shadow of its former self, they were, genuinely, one of the most significant and influential artists of the '80s. Listen to this compilation, which has almost* every song you could possibly need, and deny it if you dare.

*Although one or two later singles, like the remixed version of "Sunrise" are quite nice too.

Anyone else?

3 comments:

jeopardygirl said...

Hm. High school soundtrack? Okay.

1) Hysteria by Def Leppard. Most of the idiots I hung around loved this stuff. This was the only album of theirs I liked at all.

2) Dream Into Action by Howard Jones. My friends thought I was nuts.

3) Thin Red Line by Glass Tiger. I liked "You're What I Look For (Lately)" (je pense que je t'adore)

4) Brothers In Arms by Dire Straits. Moody title track takes me back.

and last:

5) Substance by New Order. Again, my friends thought I was nuts, but I loved dancing to it.

Now, if you were to ask me what SONGS (or singles) make up the soundtrack of my teen years, you'd have to give me more than 5 slots... :)

Ben Varkentine said...

"Dating" someone with gay musical taste, eh? How terrible that must have been for you.

Ben Varkentine said...

Yes you did-I was making a reference to any other men with suspiciously homosexual musical taste you might have "dated."

Self-depricating humor, get it?