Saturday, February 11, 2006

That's right-she is dangerous

Consider the problem of Gwyneth Paltrow. I've maintained for a while that she is not only not as good an actress as her mother, Blythe Danner, she is also not as hot. I'll admit she has had moments as an actress; I didn't like Shakespeare In Love quite as much as most people seem to have but I thought she was fine in it.

And I thought she provided some of the only genuinely touching moments in a film I mostly disliked, Alan Cumming & Jennifer Jason Leigh's actor circle-jerk The Anniversary Party.

(BTW, quick side-note having nothing to do with Ms. Paltrow whatever. I recently saw Bubble, Steven Soderbergh's non-actor starring, almost unwritten, experimental suspense film, on DVD. It works. For the first time in my experience, a film with, apparently, almost totally improvised dialogue worked for me. Why? I think because unlike movies like The Anniversary Party, this one wasn't cast with actors looking for an excuse to emote.)

And now back to Gwyneth. In interviews and such, she's come across as a perfectly nice person with a healthy dose of perspective. I support her decision to step away from Hollywood, at least for a bit, to focus on her daughter and forthcoming second child. I kinda wish she'd stop telling me she's stepping away from Hollywood to focus on her daughter, etc, but whatareyougonnado?

And then, then she goes and does something like this.
Gwyneth Paltrow has vowed not to make a big Hollywood movie - because they're "terrible".



Gwyneth, who is expecting her second baby with husband Chris Martin, said:

"Hollywood films these days are just so bad. They used to be kind of good like 'Top Gun' or something, but now they're just terrible.



She also doesn't think Americans are the smartest bunch in the world.

"Brits are far more intelligent and civilised than Americans. I love the fact that you can hail a taxi and just pick up your pram and put in the back of the cab without having to collape it. I love the parks and places I go for dinner and my friends. It's a pretty city, you know."

They used to be kind of good like 'Top Gun' or something.

Oh, it hurts...

No comments: