Sunday, February 26, 2006

Well I'll be

Rest in peace, Don Knotts.

Cartoon Brew reminds us of his vocal performance in the underrated "Cats Don't Dance" animated movie. The obits are mostly hitting Barney Fife, of course, but there's also mention of "The Incredible Mr. Limpet," a film I remember fondly and was always kind of glad they never remade. There was talk of it a few years ago with Jim Carrey or-gulp-Mike Myers. And "The Apple Dumpling Gang" which, I only recently learned, is based on a novel by someone whose writing how-to books have recently been useful to me. And who else could have been the "TV Repairman" in the overrated "Pleasantville?"

To my generation, though, Knotts was first-and-foremost Mr. Furley on "Three's Company," a series I probably shouldn't have been watching as early as I was. I'm not sure, but I think some of the jokes might have been about some sort of sex-related misunderstanding.

ETA: As I kinda suspected he would, Mark Evanier has a couple of good personal anecdotes about the man he calls "The most beloved person in all of show business," here and here.

No comments: