Saturday, March 04, 2006

What, Rodney's not "late, great" too?

Via ohnotheydidn't, Entertainment Weekly has a list up of their picks for the worst movie sequels ever made. I'm not going to reprint the whole list here, but here are a few comments on their choices and commentary.

19. Revenge of the Nerds 2 - Nerds in Paradise


Hard if not impossible to defend, certainly-but it does at least contain the amusement factor of performances by future members of the Aaron Sorkin stock company Bradley Whitford and Timothy Busfield, as well as a young Courtney Thorne-Smith in a bathing suit. But when a 38 Special theme song, with its interesting but almost instantly dated keyboard work (ah, 1987) is the best part of a movie, it's a sign of something.

18. Battle for the Planet of the Apes

Again, almost impossible to defend. It is, however, better than Tim Burton's grotesque remake.

17. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
My favorite Trek joke goes ''What do they call Star Trek in Japan?'' Answer: Sulu, Master Navigator.

Yeah, it's got its share of poor moments (as what among us doesn't)...but I'll put up with a lot for "Excuse me...what does God want with a starship?"

12. Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace

Predictable, really...but this gives me a chance to repeat my winning forumula for how Lucas could have saved this movie. And no, it doesn't involve killing Jar-Jar at the first opportunity, we keep Jar-Jar-we just get rid of the stupid CGI character idea and cast a living actor.

The actor? Jackie Chan. Think about it.

8. Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan
None of the Camp Crystal Lake killathons are what you'd call good, but this one's unwatchable. Even the ways Jason dispatches his victims aren't very creative, unless you consider a speargun creative...and I think they used that in Part III.


Au, contraire! I think driving a hot rock from a sauna into somebody's chest-cavity is pretty gosh-darn creative.

7. The Fly II

The best thing about this movie is that is shows you how good a performance Jeff Goldblum gave (and what a good script he had) in the original.

Weekend At Bernie's II

I have no defense for this, but both of the Weekend At Bernie's movies are permanently lodged on my guilty-pleasure list.

2. Caddyshack II
Again with the classy Roman numerals! This is one of the most brilliant marketing ploys ever. I don't know anyone who'd want to see Caddyshack 2, but Caddyshack II? Let me put on my ascot and monocle and I'm there! Unfortunately, Bill Murray, Rodney Dangerfield, and the late great Ted Knight are not there.

See the headline of this post.

No comments: