Saturday, June 03, 2006

Here's an item that had my sympathy and mild curiosity...untill...

So it seems that the Grateful Dead's last keyboard player has died. Apparently he had been quite despondent since Jerry Garcia passed away, and it's believed that he took his own life. Now, as you can well imagine if you know anything at all about my musical taste, the Dead were not, by and large, my cup of tea. Liked their version of the Twilight Zone theme for the '80s revival, that's about it.

But, I like to think I'm not completely insensitive to the feelings of a man who must have been in a great deal of pain. And there is also the creepy-funny aspect of it: Keyboard players for the Grateful Dead have apparently roughly the same life expectancy of drummers for Spinal Tap.

That's what I was thinking as I read this item, and then I got to this paragraph:

Originally a member of the 1970s rock band "The Tubes," Welnick joined the Grateful Dead after longest-serving keyboard player Brent Mydland died in 1990 of a drug overdose.

Waitaminute. This guy was the keyboard player in The Tubes? Forget it. Motherfucker deserved to die. Now he's in the level of hell reserved for people who should never have put their hands on a damn keyboard.

1 comment:

jeopardygirl said...

What? You didn't like "She's a Beauty?"

She's one in a million giiiirrls...

LOL. I have to agree with you, though.