Thursday, June 01, 2006

"LGBT" sounds like a progressive rock band

You know, something like Yes without their one strong song...Ladies and gentlemen, LGBT!

But seriously, folks...a blog called Mombian has declared this "Blogging for LGBT Families Day." The idea is to "help show the strength of those who support LGBT families and their rights."

Well, I certainly support that. But what specifically to write about?

I think that, and I hope I don't get brickbats for being too obvious, the gay community is in some ways in their most precarious position ever. Absolute full rights are inevitable, and I believe we'll see it within the next generation. Unfortunately, this means that those who-although they can come up with a lot of nonsense to distract from this-don't think as homosexuals as people, are digging in. They're going to make "a last stand."

The movie reference is unintentional, but given X-Men's easy reading as metaphor for the gay or other minority experience, maybe it shouldn't be.

On the other hand, there are people who have been waiting so long for the acknowledgement they should have been given "from the womb to the tomb." But they're too quick (IMO) to follow anything that even looks like light.

See everything from Mary Cheney, to those who thought the White House wouldn't screw them at the Easter Egg Roll, to the inexplicable success of The L Word. I think it's a very, very precarious time.

But at least I know which camp I'm in.

No comments: