Monday, April 23, 2007

And now for something completely different



Just so you shouldn't think I only like synth-heavy, lyrically penetrating and smart sexually ambiguous (if not sexually repressed) mope-pop that treats women as people with whom to do anything but "do it till you're satisfied"...

I love this song, this album, and to a lesser extent this band. I consider them techno-pop at least as much as rock (no synths, but dig that slick, polished production), but I love them.

And it's not a pleasure I feel particuarly guilty about. They're stupid, they're fun and they're most definitely boys.

By the way, I haven't been able to get the hot blonde in the striped shirt who appears around the 4.05 mark in this video out of my head for almost 20 years. It's not because I want to discuss feminist theory with her.

It's because she symbolizes, in one split-second shot, the reason why every band was ever formed ever.


2 comments:

Kelly Peeples said...

"Photograph" was a better song, though. I did so dig this band, once, until Depeche Mode made themselves known.

Ben Varkentine said...

Don't get me started on Depeche Mode. I had a life-changing experience at the bank today.

They were playing DM and when I asked if it was a radio station they said it was..."muzak."

Depeche Mode is Muzak.

It wasn't even one of their ballads, it was "People Are People," a hard-driving, industrial dance song.

Muzak.

I'm an old, old man.