Sunday, April 15, 2007

And with the new day's dawning

Here's Double with "The Captain of Her Heart." Some of you may remember this hit by the Swiss duo–it got to #16 in 1986. I’ve heard the song innumerable times since then. Either on the album from which it was taken (Blue), which I still have and which still holds up, or on Volume 5 of the Living in Oblivion series.

And it still took me nearly 20 years to realize that the song has only one verse. It's just so damn jazzy and atmospheric.



From what I found on Google there were three different versions of this video, this, the "European Version" is by far the greatest. It's a rare example of a video being almost exactly what I've always seen in my head whenever I hear the song.

The others are wrongheaded from the word go. It's over 20 years too late, but you want to tell whoever directed them, "Hey, you notice how the first line of the song is 'It was way past midnight?' That's maybe a clue that the video shouldn't be filmed in the middle of a lovely day."

They do make for an interesting look at the cliches of what European musicians thought the U.S. market wanted, however.

(Lots of models and scenes of the band members driving around various picturesque locales.)

2 comments:

jeopardygirl said...

Thank you for finding this. :)

Ben Varkentine said...

Again-it wasn't that difficult, really.